Request a Call

Want us to call you? Leave your name and phone number and we'll call you within 2 hours.

Overdose and Toxicity of OxyContin

Toxicity and Overdose of OxyContin

Toxicity and Overdose of OxyContin

Oxycontin overdoses typically occur when someone intentionally or accidentally takes too much of the drug. Since OxyContin is a drug primarily used to treat pain, users may accidentally take more of the drug dosage prescribed because they are not seeing immediate results or because the pain they are experiencing is not abated by the prescribed dosage their doctors have given them. However, there are several reasons why a person may take too much of the drug intentionally, which is usually as a result of trying to achieve a certain high or to purposely hurt oneself.

 

Symptoms of OxyContin Overdose

 

If you or a loved one are using OxyContin, there are certain signs and symptoms to observe for in the case of an overdose. It is important to be aware of these signs so that proper protocol can be followed The following are common signs and symptoms which indicate the happening of an OxyContin overdose:

  • Vomiting
  • Shallow breathing
  • Extreme fatigue
  • In and out of consciousness
  • Complete loss of consciousness
  • Chest pains and discomfort
  • Constricted or small pupils
  • Lack of awareness and/or responsiveness
  • Extreme drowsiness
  • No muscle tone or movement
  • Slow or irregular heartbeat

In the instance of an overdose, it is important to seek medical attention to protect against irreversible damage or death. If you or a loved one fall victim to an OxyContin overdose, seek help immediately.

Ready to get help?
Call now to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist

Treatment for an OxyContin Overdose

Treatment for an OxyContin Overdose

For safety reasons, it is important to seek medical treatment in the case of an overdose. Typically, when breathing is extremely slow or shallow, or if the overdose symptoms are life threatening, doctors will use medication to treat an overdose, Naloxone, is generally used in treated opiate-related overdose. This drug is an opioid antagonist drug which is capable of reversing the symptoms of a drug overdose. When the symptoms are not too severe, instead of using medicine, doctors tend to use other treatment approaches to help remove leftover toxins from the drug in the body. Upon treatment of an OxyContin overdose, a doctor may recommend a drug treatment program and/or therapy to help address issues with drug abuse and addiction.

 

 

 

Avoid Experiencing An Overdose By Getting Help Today!

Avoid Experiencing An Overdose By Getting Help Today!

You can avoid the risk of experiencing an overdose on Oxycontin by making the brave choice to get clean today! With comprehensive treatment for an OxyContin use problem it is possible to escape the consequences of OxyContin abuse, including an overdose. If you decide to keep using, your risk for an overdose will increase significantly over time.  

As one uses OxyContin over an extended period of time, his or her tolerance will increase, causing one to use more of the drug to achieve your desired high. However, as one’s tolerance grows it causes you to chase a dangerous high and by chasing this high overdose is a possibility.

We want to help you protect yourself from the incidence of an overdose while helping you successfully abstain from using Oxycontin for a lifetime. Allow Harbor Village to help you save your life!

Call our free and confidential 24/7 helpline now!

Ready to get help?
Call now to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist

Ready For Help?

Get Confidential Help 24/7
Call us now:
855-767-8285

Find a treatment center near you

Learn more about your options and find the perfect treatment center in your area.
The best centers in your area
Find a center now

Request a Call

Do you want us to call you?
Request a Call Now!