An infant is back at home and recovering today after a lapse in communication between her parents nearly cost the girl her life.
ABC-affiliate WISN reports that the accident happened when the child’s mother, Natalee Kahl, made a bottle for the baby using a battle of what she believed was water. However, the child’s father had emptied the bottle and filled it with vodka in preparation of going out with friends.
One hour later Kahl was in a panic after discovering the baby girl, Daviarre, was suddenly sick; her legs were shaking and her hands red. The panic led to a physical altercation between Kahl, the father, Brian Smith, and his sister, Kayla Jones. Now Smith is in jail and the baby is home recovering after a frantic trip to the hospital with a blood alcohol level of 0.294.
That is nearly four times the legal limit of a full grown adult in Wisconsin .
“There’s a lot that goes through your mind,” Natalee said, “ like ‘ Oh, my baby is going to get taken away, or she could die.” However she stands by her boyfriend and insists that he does not belong in jail for his part in the incident.
“He should not be behind bars. That’s not a place for him, and that’s no place for my daughter to see her dad.”
Kayla Jones, Smith’s sister, agrees. Despite the fact that she was also involved in the physical confrontation, Jones explains the entire ordeal was an accident and the resulting fallout was only due to fear. Charges against Brian Smith include Strangulation and suffocation, battery, and resisting an officer. No charges of child neglect, abuse, or endangerment have yet been filed.
Today baby Daviarre is home with her mother and older sister and seems to have recovered though doctors continue to monitor her blood sugar levels to ensure it does not drop too low.
Featured Image: “Bottle-feeding” by Симилак. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.