End of Year Resolutions You Can Set Right Now!
November 12, 2019
An overdose is a potentially life threatening response to the influx of an addictive substance in the body. Depending upon the type of substance overdosed on, the body will react differently. The most common among overdoses are opiates, which depress the central nervous system and compromise the respiratory system. In short, an overdose is an “excessive and dangerous dose of a drug,” according to the dictionary.
Yes! Because bath salts is a stimulant drug similar to methamphetamine and cathinone, overdose from the substance can be life threatening- and may even be common. Bath salts, like many street drugs, are not regulated by the state or FDA, and are not monitored for quality control. Batches of bath salts vary widely from each other, and may contain an overdose amount of substance in individual packages.
Overdose from bath salts are marked by manic behavioral changes in users. Depending upon consumption, whether smoked, snorted, injected, or taken orally, overdose may be instant, or delayed. Overdoses have been reported from three to five milligrams, but Drugs.com reports packets of bath salts may contain five to 20 milligrams of the addictive substance.
If consumed orally, peak “highs” show themselves approximately one and a half hours after consuming bath salts. The high from bath salts can last three to four hours, followed by a crash, which may persist up to four hours.
When overdosing users experienced increased heart rates, high blood pressure, hyperthermia, seizures without a history of epilepsy, and death. Many overdosing on bath salts will experience delirium, acute paranoia, hallucinations, self mutilation, suicide attempts, panic attacks, and unprovoked acts of violence.
During an overdose permanent kidney damage may result from Rhabdomyolysis. As of right now emergency medical personnel can only manage the symptoms of a bath salt overdose. There are no known antidotes for the condition.
Those who abuse bath salts recreationally are in danger for developing chronic addictions to the addictive substance. Because the substance MDVP, found in bath salts, affects the brain’s dopamine production, addiction with prolonged use is almost guaranteed. Prolonged use of bath salts will permanently damage one’s dopamine neurotransmitter, which is responsible for feeling rewarded, whole, and satisfied.
Look out for the following signs to catch an addiction to bath salts before it is established:
Treating a bath salt use disorder will prevent a potentially fatal overdose, and will address the underlying causes of addiction. The only way to prevent an overdose is to abstain from the drug, which should not be done suddenly, or outside of a detox and withdrawal program for bath salts. The effects of bath salts are permanent without treatment and may spur the development of chronic behavioral conditions and certain medical disorders.